Discover Assassin's Creed series

Continuing the discussion from Gaming Hopelessness?:

Not just a game! It is a multimedia franchise that even has a movie, and all about people time-travel murdering fools! It is like murder-hobos in the timestream!

To complete this quest I’m gonna create a bunch of other quests, one for each game. Additionally, I’d like to discuss what kind of data page a “series” should include; maybe we use this series as an example.

I still have Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, AC: Revelations and AC III on my Steam list and I’ve only just begun Brotherhood. I’ve started it several times, I get partway into it and I just get demoralized by all the little irrelevant-seeming tasks and quit. It’s a shame I don’t have the stomach for it anymore, because Assassin’s Creed 2 was a really enjoyable gaming experience for me despite all the grind, and I like a lot of gameplay bits about AC: Brotherhood…

1 Like

There are a dozen games at this point, ne? Is there a clear entrance into the story?

I played AC 1 but didn’t remember most of the details when I played AC 2, so I think AC 2 is a fine intro to the story…the metaplot was so insane that I really dread what later series entries did with it/how they complicated it…

1 Like

i’m watching @di play! she pirates around with her merbabes! it’s so awesome!!! it’s so beautiful!!! i keep laughing that it’s called Odyssey before going back to my other Odyssey.

(that was a hopeful @ for the future)

1 Like

Updated quest to be for the series. We can spring game specific quests as they come up.

1 Like

Speaking of entrance points to the story.

Never played an Assasin’s Creed before but im half tempted to pick up the Assasin’s Creed III switch port. Mainly because im nostalgic for Gamecube era Pince of Persia gameplay and it seems to be the current inheritor to that throne.

But anyone know if the story is going to be impossible to follow jumping blind into part III ?

Ive been operating under the assumption with so many entries in the franchise the overall meta story has got to be a little more loose and general and the individual games pretty episodic.

Or am I wrong ?

2 Likes

I got to see merbabes crew in Odyssey, and it was a very pretty, fun-looking experience! Always surprised by how pretty console games are; for the last 20 years I’ve been running Nvidia cards with FOSS drivers, so while I’m happy, I’m never quite cutting edge, and these games make me want to just, like, stare at candles…

Which of course is a thing I enjoy in real life, and would much rather do. Did I make a quest about candle-making?

Yes!

2 Likes

Prince of Persia Sands of Time is one of my favorite games of all time. I reinstalled Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood the other night and got really into it before my laptop fan started groaning like a dying car and I had to shut it off. It’s been so long since I played Sands of Time but I think the controls might have been better than Assassin’s Creed?

I think you should just get AC3 and not worry about the plot. My perception of the metaplot is that it’s very complex but understanding it is pretty unnecessary to enjoying probably 95 percent of the actual game/gameplay…

2 Likes

Now if it can just when the batal royale that is my ever growing Switch wishlist.

2 Likes

I actually know the metaplot, but not which parts appear in which games. AC is one of many paracosms I track. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The video game series took inspiration from the novel Alamut by the Slovenian writer Vladimir Bartol,[1] while building upon concepts from the Prince of Persia series.[2] It begins with the self-titled game in 2007, and has featured eleven main games. The most recent released game is 2018’s Assassin’s Creed Odyssey .

There’s some fun tidbits, and great branches to follow!

Okay, main games:

Okay, I’m gonna make those quests, but ya know, others may as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait… they make one each year?

1 Like

Yeah it’s an annual franchise for them. Which is why their have been so many damn games I think.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Game studios, amirite?

Okay, since we didn’t develop any particular meaning to what a series means at What is a series page?, I’m okay saying we completed this quest by spawning off the others. If folks want to dive into individual games, we’d have something crunchy to discuss.

Everyone good? :slight_smile:

i like that! the list of all the games is a discovery. and it created discussion!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Mini Youtube Documentary on the history of and current status of the Prince of Persia series.