The mundane decisions that make Mediawiki such a pain

This will be one of those braindump threads where I drop a bunch of weird related issues that spawn individual conversations/solutions. I’m posting now because of Discover Basic Fantasy RPG - #5 by maiki, where @trashheap recommends:

I want to respond to that, but I can’t right now. T_T

See, I’m over here in sysadministrivia still. I haven’t figured out which structured database system I’m going with, haven’t decided on a single wiki versus a bunch of wikae, or even where uploads live (because do I really want to migrate files later, or do I want to stash them in object storage from the get-go?).

My next question will be like for video games and BBS: what is the data model for tabletop retroclone RPGs? But I can’t even get into that right now, because it is yet another whole other knowledgebase I’d be starting before getting anything in place.

So, folks, I’m reading everything. But I’ve got a lot to do in the meantime. On top of also always trying to make money to survive, etc.

My hope is that if I start talking through the walls I’ve run into, you folks will be the sounding board I need to get out and over my head, and make some stuff happen.

And I’ll start with this question: what warrants a wiki? Hmmm, I’ll ask separately.