GPD MicroPC, 6-inch Handheld Industry Laptop

@trashHeap, I thought of you in particular when I saw this. Like, I’ve haven’t needed a RS-232 connection in 20 years, but now I want it!!

2 Likes

I love this. Portables are so great. Here’s one that I’ve had my eye on.

I really gnashed my teeth on this one a few months back. But I set asside some money last year and got a GPD Win 2. And now im like “I can’t let myself fill up our apartment with Tiny PCs!!!” One has to be enough.

2 Likes

Also I think I am a sucker for handhelds. Like, there is a reason im trying to position myself to get a Sega Nomad instead of a Genesis.

That white clamshell unit looks pretty slick. Watch out @tim, a sexier AlphaSmart!

Got a fellow in IT who has backed one of those things. Im REALLY hoping he gets bored with it, and I can buy it off him used. Tiny Computer + eInk is so damn cool.

1 Like

I had an Android tablet with eInk display. Passed it on, it wasn’t the best (older Android, didn’t refresh as well). But I loaded FBReader from FDroid, and had the Wikipedia app, too. It was pretty sweet, issues aside. Oh, and I charged it like, every 3 days!

@maiki nah my Alphasmart Neo is all I need. :smiley:

1 Like

It wasn’t one of these was it? I got one of these when the company went over. Their were being sold for a fourth or less of their retail price. It was the best thing in the world to run RPGs off of assuming the PDF would fit in memmory. (Kinda iffy back then).

It was not, and I can’t believe I don’t have references to it anywhere in my archives… it was an Onyx Boox tablet, I think, one of the earliest. Imported from Poland, it was a whole thing.

That company makes so many (nice looking!) tablets now, it’s hard to find info on older models.

Yeah I bought one of these when I was looking at the freewrite. I love it despite its sticky keys and 3 line display :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I got mine for the 2004 NaNoWriMo and it was awesome! It was also amazing for school, I wish I’d had it for more than just my last 2 semesters. It takes notes like a BOSS.

The Neo had 6 lines of display too, because it was cutting edge! I still love it, and love the weeks long battery life, and the usb interface that doesn’t need any drivers.

1 Like

I love how this thread is turning into the “let’s share our beloved, older tiny machines!” thread. :heart:

3 Likes

i’ve never seen these! they look so great! i’ve seen piles of fold-open english-chinese pocket dictionaries with lcd screens come and go. they had little itty bitty button keyboards, though. the full-sized keyboard on an alphasmart is amazing. and it looks so rugged!

The AlphaSmart 3000 has a series of whack-ass features for editing. There’s the spell-check, which moves with all of the urgency of a snail with a head cold. There’s also the ability to select text, copy, and paste with all of the nimbleness of a mosquito encased in amber. These “features,” along with its tiny screen mean you aren’t editing shit on this piece of junk.

hahahahaha

Im just going to add that Ive really wanted something in the Alphasmart Neo/Cambridge Z88 form factor, with a backlit screen capable of wireless connections and SSH ( at a reasonable price) for decades now. Someone please sound the alarm if they spot such a device.

I know lots of things that get close, but something about that particular form factor seems like it would be remarkable with that feature set.

2 Likes