After School Satan

I see there are a few cities that my friends with kids live in that have an After School Satan program.

It’s important that children be given an opportunity to realize that the evangelical materials now creeping into their schools are representative of but one religious opinion amongst many. While the Good News Clubs focus on indoctrination, instilling them with a fear of Hell and God’s wrath, After School Satan Clubs will focus on free inquiry and rationalism, the scientific basis for which we know what we know about the world around us. We prefer to give children an appreciation of the natural wonders surrounding them, not a fear of everlasting other-worldly horrors.

I am surprised I didn’t think of this, since I ran a “cult” in high school that was essentially based on secular humanism (we were regarded as Satanists by the Christian club, however they came to that conclusion).

Despite the values put forth, would you let your children attend this program? :slight_smile:

I strongly like the idea of a club that promotes free inquiry and rationalism.

I do not like the name After School Satan because of my Paladin character background. It does seem like an antagonistic and for-shock-value name, when it doesn’t need to be. A family who has no religious leanings either way could still be put off by the name, and not research farther to see it’s not something like:

:smiley:

UPDATE: I should probably have clicked the link. It being ran by the Satanic Temple, it makes sense to have Satan in the name for them. That said, I have similar feelings re: naming of the Satanic Temple. But hey, that’s just me!

They should really change the name to After School Non Sequitur, based on Answers to the most common questions about The Satanic Temple - TST

To embrace the name Satan is to embrace rational inquiry removed from supernaturalism and archaic tradition-based superstitions.

Or they could just skip the preposterous trappings of religion and call it Science Club.

I sent the link to a friend and their short reply was, “Tax shelters!” :slight_smile: