cat log

I wish! I started him out in the hallway (indoors being safer than outdoors) but now he’s scared as hell of the hallway. He always shakes or tries to claw his way out of my arms when I carry him around to familiarize him.

We enjoy the porch together. I’m happy with that. :sunny:

1 Like

aw he shakes? poor kitty. unfamiliar cavernous space with no hiding spots. yay porch :sunny::sunny::sunny: it makes me happy to think of you enjoying the porch together.

FLEAS! despite indoor-only! and advantage topical flea treatment every month! ARGH! we think it’s because we have no screens on amy of the windows and very bad gaps in all our doors and windows and a ton of stray cats in the yard.

should we fleabomb the whole house on the same day we apply their next topical flea treatment in a week or immediately before? or immediately after? or at a different time? i’ve washed all my bedding and have it in my car and put my weighted blanket in a bag during the day =_= and keep the door to my room closed but the flea trap still got like ten when it was in my room

the flea trap is a lightbult shining down on sticky paper

oh hey this is post 42!

“unfamiliar cavernous space” I love how you describe the world!

I think you should topical treatment them after the flea bomb so that once the fleas are gone, you can treat them for whatever remaining fleas they have.

Not basing that on experience though. Poor babies.

1 Like

kitty and i are both taking naps. she got flea treatment today (topical, monthly, back of the head). we’re separating them so there’s no chance of cleaning it off of each other.

2 Likes

I’ve been grappling with my cat’s mortality. I used to say, “oh, I can’t wait for kitty to get older and mellower,” especially when he would bat my legs before bed. But now, I’m noticing changes in his behavior that make me sad. For example, I throw his dry food at night since he’s very food motivated, but recently he stops 2/3rds of the way through to take a nap. Maybe it’s the heat. Or maybe he just has less energy nowadays. I’ve been adapting without thinking, but today, my boyfriend was feeding kitty and he asked me what to do. Looking over at the napping kitty, I suddenly had this sinking feeling of, “what if the cat’s not actually ok?” I’m not entirely sure where these worries come from. He’s plenty healthy and active. Maybe it’s the realization that he’s coming up on a decade soon (of human years). Maybe it’s that two coworkers put down their cats recently. Maybe it’s the fear that he can’t tell me what’s wrong, when there is something wrong.

Anyway, he’s curled up on a chair near me, cleaning himself. He seems fine.

2 Likes

I know that hurt. My stepmom is currently down to the last of a family of cats that she’s had with her for 13-14 years now. Leah is definitely winding down now, spends most of her time alone, being quiet, sitting in the sun. My stepmom makes enough that she doesn’t mind spending a lot of money on her care, so she’s never run into the problem of having to make an expense decision about Leah’s life. Not everybody is so lucky.

My instinct says that if he’s letting himself be seen and is continuing his daily habits, he’s probably doing fine, cat-wise :slight_smile: Whenever you have a quiet moment with your cat, remember to think, “These are the good ol’ days”, and it will make that peaceful memory of your elder statesman cat even stronger.

2 Likes

Say hello to Avila, nickname pancake since she can lie SO FLAT.

after my last post, it might seem that I’m trying to allay my fears of losing Felix by getting a new cat, and I probably am? I’ve also wanted another cat for years.

Avila is tiny and quite bony! She stopped eating the first week, which freaked me out, but apparently she is a nervous eater (the polar opposite of Felix.) The vet told me that cats continue to not eat, to their own detriment, once they stop eating. I had to learn how to syringe feed her. Luckily she is very sweet and doesn’t bite.

She and Felix get along better than I’d hoped! He gets angry when she gets to eat and he doesn’t, but otherwise they’ve both been chill. They played briefly once, but neither was used to the other’s play style so they both withdrew.

Avila is pretty crafty. I started giving her a treat sometimes to entice her to eat, which led to her not eating, despite efforts to switch it up (maybe she only wants wet? Only dry? Only fresh from the can food)? I finally gave her a treat, and lo-- she started gobbling down food. Oh, cats.

2 Likes

hi pancake avila! welcome to the tuna family! hmmm i was hoping felix would inspire her to eat, lol.

was avila her name from the shelter? what treats does she like?

I’M BACK! ohoho.

Avila was her name at the shelter! We fed her so well that she actually doubled in weight… to the point that the vet was like “ok, watch what you’re giving her now” lol. Still makes me laugh. I had no idea she’d gained that much. She’s the love of my life <3 Such a sweet kitty.

1 Like