Current internet connectivity numbers

Continuing the discussion from Contract for the Web:

Not sure where I’ll get these numbers, but I’m looking for data to inform the queries regarding the following regional divisions:

• City of Oakland
  • County of Alameda
  • State of California
  • Country of USA
  • Planet of Earth (including near orbit, why not?)
  • How much does 1GB of data cost?
  • What is 2% of average monthly income?
  • What percent of citizens have broadband internet?
  • What is a citizen? May a government ignore non-citizens?
  • What are ICT skills?
  • What percent of youth over 10 currently have them?

Several sources online point to Worldwide Mobile Data Pricing 2023 | 1GB Cost in 237 Countries as being the place to get data, and I can see why:

Worldwide mobile data pricing: The cost of 1GB of mobile data in 228 countries

Data from 5,554 mobile data plans in 228 countries were gathered and analysed by Cable.co.uk between 3 February and 25 February 2020. The average cost of one gigabyte (1GB) was then calculated and compared to form a worldwide mobile data pricing league table.

global-mobile-data-price-comparison-2020.xlsx (127.7 KB)

USA’s data measured 29 plans, and found:

• Lowest cost: $2.20
  • Average cost: $8.00
  • Highest cost: $60.00

For USA and below I’ll work with $8.00 as the average. For Earth the different markets are so vastly different, and my understanding of them is limited as such I’m actually going to not track Planet of Earth stats. There isn’t, in fact, a World Government, anyhow…

In India the average cost of 1GB mobile data is $0.09. :face_with_monocle:

I got the following from Demographics of Internet and Home Broadband Usage in the United States | Pew Research Center

The proportion of American adults with high-speed broadband service at home increased rapidly between 2000 and 2010. In recent years, however, broadband adoption growth has been much more sporadic. Today, roughly three-quarters of American adults have broadband internet service at home.

Date %
7/12/2015 67%
11/15/2015 67%
4/4/2016 70%
11/6/2016 73%
1/10/2018 65%
2/7/2019 73%

I’m going to keep searching for more data on this, especially for California and Oakland.

I happen to not have broadband internet access. My access is relatively unstable, I’m often left without net access for several hours, particularly during peak hours during weekdays; my access is via a wifi point connected to Sprint’s mobile network. Notably Sprint did not have coverage when we went camping 40 minutes from home.

I’m guessing my questions won’t be answered, and will cautiously hope it means all people living in an area…