Just a tablet

I ordered a breakfast burrito, and while I was waiting for it I played a game on my Nexus 7. When my food was brought out they did a double take and asked if I had an iPad mini.

Oddly enough, that was the exact same question that people asked me when I had a Galaxy Tab a year and a half ago. And just like then all I could do was wag my head no. Everyone seems to get a little bummed when I tell them.

As if having a Star Trek datapad wasn’t interesting on its own, as if I couldn’t do anything the inevitable iPad mini could. I had this device, right here, in my hands! But it didn’t have an apple embossed on it, so complete lack of interest.

I don’t get the bubble around Apple. It is like the 1984 that Apple promised wouldn’t come to be. Folks will pay more money for less hardware by a mean and litigious company that uses horrible labor practices, and the whole while seem like they are drinking a special kind of kool-aid or are privileged to do so.

And I am bitter because I can’t forget all those things and be oblivious as I go about my day.