Process the DO apps

Continuing “Developer Tools”:

OpenVPN Access Server

OpenVPN Access Server is a full featured SSL VPN software solution that integrates OpenVPN server capabilities, enterprise management capabilities, simplified OpenVPN Connect UI, and OpenVPN Client software packages that accommodate Windows, MAC, and Linux, mobile OS (Android and iOS) environments. OpenVPN Access Server supports a wide range of configurations, including secure and granular remote access to internal network and/ or private cloud network resources and applications with fine-grained access control.

So this is interesting. The ability to deploy a VPN endpoint on one’s own is hot.

Check this:

Getting started after deploying OpenVPN Access Server

Deployment steps

1. Log on via SSH to start the setup procedure, you will be asked a number of questions that need to be answered.
  2. Once that is complete, enter the command “passwd openvpn” to set a password for your Access Server.
  3. Now open the address of your server in a web browser, for example: https:///admin/
  4. If you see any SSL certificate warnings, that is normal, please override them.
  5. Now log on with username ‘openvpn’ and the password you set in step 2.

Notice that fourth step, it’s a flag for sure, but that’s how certs work. My point is, without reading a lot more about OpenVPN, deploying as a one-click may not be the best idea, given the importance of this application.

But more we shall learn!

CloudBees Jenkins Distribution

CloudBees Jenkins Distribution provides development teams with a highly dependable, secure Jenkins environment curated from the most recent supported Jenkins release. The distribution comes with a recommended catalog of tested plugins available through the CloudBees Assurance Program. Upgrades are now a smooth, seamless experience with the Beekeeper Upgrade Assistant. The Beekeeper Upgrade Assistant works in parallel with the CloudBees Assurance Program to provide a centralized view of the monitored Jenkins plugins, as well as recommended actions and configuration options. The free CloudBees Jenkins Advisor plugin keeps an eye out for potential issues and recommendations and sends you email notifications with suggestions tailored to your installation. The CloudBees Jenkins Distribution License Report has a list of included plugins. For 24 hours a day, 7 days a week support from the Jenkins experts, visit CloudBees Jenkins Support.

Okay, so this is like that Onjection one. But by a Cloud of Bees posing as people. Not sure if that is a point against or for them…

GitLab Enterprise Edition

Shorten development cycles and innovate faster with reliability through DevOps automation. GitLab is a single application that provides end to end DevOps solutions ranging from Source Code Management, Continuous Integration and Delivery, Security with Monitoring, as well as rich project management features to development teams across the enterprise. With this marketplace listing, you get source code management, built-in CI/CD, project tracking functionality and much more for free. Unlock additional features like security and monitoring with Enterprise Edition without the need of setting up a new Droplet. Simply scale up your instance and apply your license key purchased online here.

Uh-oh, I smell bullshit!

:rotating_light::rotating_light::rotating_light: ENTERPRISE!!! :rotating_light::rotating_light::rotating_light:

oh-shit

But we played with GitLab for many years, and it is very nice for what it does, if you need to be GitHub but are too :cool:. :sunglasses:

CapRover

CapRover is an easy to use PaaS with a dashboard. It helps you to take your app from http://localhost:3000 to https://awesomeapp.com in seconds. It makes HTTPS enabling as simple as clicking on a button. It makes database (MongoDB, MySQL, Postgres and etc) deployment available with a single click. No more manual nginx configurations, or building everything from scratch. See Getting Started · CapRover for setup documentation. If you are using this One-Click droplet, you should skip step 1 in the guide.

Huh, sounds like Dokku. Apache 2 license. Make note to quest.

NKN Full Node

NKN is the new kind of P2P network connectivity protocol & ecosystem powered by a novel public blockchain. Our open source node software allows Internet users to share network connections and unused bandwidth for rewards. By running an NKN node, you become part of the NKN network community helping to build the decentralized Internet so everyone can enjoy secure, low cost, and universally accessible connectivity.

Hmmm, can I use the Data gif again?

FUCK YES!

oh-shit

Okay, I’ll give them: their pitch sounds nice. But it also sounds like they don’t go out of their way to address any issues blockchain-based applications bring. Worth looking up more, see if there is anything beyond the hype and good intentions. On the other hand, their support URL is Discord… :paperclips:

Nakama

Build scalable games and apps with a production ready server used by ambitious game studios and app developers all around the world. Have a look at the documentation and join the developer community for more info.

This is a new one for me. Seems pretty neat, free license claimed (Apache 2), and client support includes JavaScript and C++…

I don’t know really know if this interest me. Do I want a game server that handles a bunch of stuff for me, that I can one-click install or API cluster (built-in)? Sure! But this is likely for mobile app game makers, and I simply don’t care about those kinds of games. They allow for horrible consequences to mobile gamers. I am not particularly interested in learning more about supporting that sub-industry. :thinking:

PacVim

PacVim is a game that will teach you how to use the vim text editor.

Ha! :cool:

Getting started after deploying PacVim

To play, ssh into your Droplet and then run:

pacvim [LEVEL_NUMBER] [MODE]

Copy

You may specify the starting level and mode ( n and h for normal/hard). Default mode is hard:

pacvim 8 n

Copy

How To Play

The objective of PacVim is very similar to PacMan.

You must run over all the characters on the screen while avoiding the ghosts (red G ).

PacVim has two special obstacles:

1. You cannot move into the walls (yellow color). You must use vim motions to jump over them.
  2. If you step on a tilde character (cyan ~ ), you lose!You are given three lives. You gain a life each time you beat
    level 0, 3, 6, 9, etc. There are 10 levels, 0 through 9. After
    beating the 9th level, the game is reset to the 0th level, but
    the ghosts move faster. Winning conditions: Use vim commands to move the cursor

over the letters and highlight them. After all letters are

highlighted, you win and proceed to the next level.

Losing conditions: If you touch a ghost (indicated

by a red G ) or a tilde character, you lose a life. If you

have less than 0 lives, you lose the entire game.

List of Implemented Commands

key what it does
q quit the game
h move left
j move down
k move up
l move right
w move forward to next word beginning
W move forward to next WORD beginning
e move forward to next word ending
E move forward to next WORD ending
b move backward to next word beginning
B move backward to next WORD beginning
$ move to the end of the line
0 move to the beginning of the line
gg/1G move to the beginning of the first line
number G move to the beginning of the line given by number
G move to the beginning of the last line
^ move to the first word at the current line
& 1337 cheatz (beat current level)

And for the fancy among you:

curl -X POST -H 'Content-Type: application/json' \
     -H 'Authorization: Bearer '$TOKEN'' -d \
    '{"name":"choose_a_name","region":"sfo2","size":"s-2vcpu-4gb","image":"sharklabs-pacvim-18-04"}' \
    "https://api.digitalocean.com/v2/droplets"

Or, ya know, maybe install it locally.

Okay! That’s all the current developer tools. Next time I’ll start a new section.

But which one?!

• Frameworks
  • Blogs & Forums
  • Databases
  • Monitoring
  • Functions
0 voters