Reading Questions 2018

https://mastodon.sdf.org/@cosullivan/101254555026180762

gopher://zaibatsu.circumlunar.space:70/0/~christina/ReadingQuestions.txt

I’m interested to know about your reading joys of 2018. What was your
most enjoyable fiction read? Most penetrating non-fiction read? Did you
discover any authors this year?

Here are some reading questions: if you care to answer any, some, or
all of them on your phlog please tag me on Mastodon (either christinao@mastodon.cloud or
cosullivan@mastodon.sdf.org) with the URL, or use the hashtag
#readingquestions, or email me at christyotwisty@sdf.org with your answers
if you prefer more intimacy.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then we’ll begin!

***** READING QUESTIONS *****

What is the first book you remember loving?

What book/series would you like to see adapted to film?

Who are your favourite protagonists?

Who are your favourite antagonists?

What, so far, is the best book you’ve read this year?

Can you list three to five of your favourite authors? Why are they your
favourite?

What are your least favourite genres to read?

What was the last book you recommended to a friend?

What is your favourite film adaptation of a book?

What books have you read the most times?

What fictional world or novel’s setting would you like to live in?

What are your favourite classic books?

What is the most recent book you didn’t expect to like, yet did?

If you could meet one author, living or dead, whom would it be?

What authors do you think more people should read?

I can’t wait to see what @susan answers, because e reads a whole bunch, and seems to always find good novels that are turned into shows/movies. :slight_smile:

I’m answering below, and you can too!

1 Like

I keep thinking about this, and I keep returning to… The Hobbit. I don’t think I thought any books were particularly better than others, until The Hobbit. And while I have a… complicated relationship with Middle-Earth, The Hobbit still holds up. It’s a great children’s book, and a great adventure, and well written and fun!

For the longest time I wanted all high fantasy on film! But the D&D movies (there were three, I can’t unwatch them!) and Game of Thrones has shown me that it either isn’t gonna be handled well, or it’s gonna be “HBO”.

For years as a kid I had fantasy casting for Dragonlance, but as an adult I’m can’t even critically assess DL without cringing, so…

I don’t really have a desire to see series turned into visual media. But if there was a single series I’d love to see done well: the Foundation series. It would almost be spooky, if done well.

Your Six-Year-Old: Loving and Defiant.

I didn’t read a lot of fiction this year. But I did enjoy that book.

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, and sequels. Douglas Adams prose is so dense, even I can’t memorize all the awesome! One of the few books I can read again without becoming board.

Mark Twain. I have a theory that everything e wrote was the boring version.

It’s manga, but Yotsuba&!. I recommend it to all people with a soul, and were once children. My child is named in part, after this manga. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m wracking my brain on what I read, because I know I’ve been reading about authors and looking up bibliographies, and… they are all children’s books! So I might have some author recommendations, after all. :slight_smile:

Little Bear:

Little Bear is an educational Canadian children’s animated series based on the Little Bear series of books written by Else Holmelund Minarik, and illustrated by Maurice Sendak; the program was originally produced by CBC. It has been rebroadcast on many channels, including Noggin/Nick Jr. (U.S.), ABC and ABC2 (Australia), RTÉ (Ireland), TV2 (New Zealand) and Children’s BBC (UK). The show aired in reruns on “Nick on CBS” for 1 year from September 16, 2000, to September 8, 2001. A direct-to-video/DVD full-length feature film titled The Little Bear Movie was released in 2001.

These books are very calming and heart-warming, and the series carries that over. Also, the show had a lot of interesting people working on it, including Suzanne Collins. :slight_smile:

@susan didn’t give me any warning, and I was barely able to finish it without sobbing. =P

Jurassic Park was the first book I stayed up late to finish. It was the first time I had ever heard of fractals. It was the first time I ever saw the word “paradigm,” as in “paradigm shift,” and I pronounced it “PA-ra-DIGG-em” because I’d never heard the word before, either. I remember getting gripped by it so much. I don’t even know why we had it lying around.

A few months ago, my sister was in California and cleaned out a few boxes from our parents’ house. I saw that old dog-eared copy of Jurassic Park in the “donate” pile and pounced on it and Marie Kondo devotees everywhere screamed. Now I have it prominently displayed on my shelf. My last roommate cast a healing spell on its cover.

I’ll never know if we were poor, or my mom thought it was more educational, but I was only allowed to watch movies in theaters if I read the book it was based on.

Hence I saw all the Crichton films, and realized how much better books are than movies. So I guess it worked out. :slight_smile:

I was so torn by how the movie was different, but on the other hand, Malcolm.

1 Like