The elementaryOS web browser won't save passwords

@susan has been using elementaryOS for a couple of months, and it more or less works. A few things needed tweaking, but it serves as a decent replacement to MacOS X (not macOS, as you only get that if you pay the Apple hardware tax).

Anyhow, the web browser won’t save passwords. It is annoying, because it says it does, but is a liar!

I believe it is a reskinned Firefox. I’m making an issue here, since I should figure this out, but otherwise don’t care, because I kinda hate elementaryOS (for all the same reasons I hate the Apple UI; they hide stuff from people, sensible stuff :roll_eyes:). But Susan is one hot mama, and I want to stay on eir good side. :grimacing:

Hrm. Mind dumping the info from about:support? Would be good to know what version of Firefox it’s derived from. Could be good to compare that against Mozilla’s Bugzilla.

That and it would be good to double check. I think ElementaryOS has jumped browsers a few times between major versions. (I think they shipped Midori or a heavily altered Epiphany at one time.) Not sure how obvious it would be depending on how heavily they reskin everything for their UI.

1 Like

Yep, yer right, and based on the eOS website I believe it is Epiphany.

Here’s what confused me, as I was searching too fast in settings for something and didn’t read the fine text well:

I didn’t know other browsers included Firefox sync! Makes sense I suppose.

Okay, time to figure out why Epiphany isn’t saving passwords. :slight_smile:

Epiphany uses the gnome-keyring right? Or did last time I was a gnome user. If she isn’t married to any current saved passwords, id possibly considering zapping or backing up then zapping the keyring file, and see if that clears the issue.

Ive done this as a matter of course on lots of operating system’s with similar keyring mechanisms when they got glitchy about some saved password issue. Used to do it on Mac OS X when I was in desktop support a bit to. Its not an elegant solution. But it wallpapers over a lot of possible problems quickly.

1 Like

Oh, good thinking! I’ll try it.

I would just install Firefox if possible, but with a heavy sigh I am resigned to find alternatives, and Epiphany seems otherwise fine. Of course, I don’t even know the rendering engine, so… :grimacing:

Everything and I do not mean this with exageration, but everything else save Firefox and it’s direct relatives is more or less Webkit2 or Blink now. I believe Epiphany is the former. Mainly because Gtk/Gnome has imported Webkit2 has it’s standard for all things html into it’s library ecosystem. I haven’t followed Gnome/Gtk that closely in the past year or two though. They may have switched to Blink propper now, as I believe Qt/KDE did.

The solve was to install Firefox. :roll_eyes:

1 Like