toy repair log

the title toy repair log makes me sound like a toymaker of old, but my repairs are going to be limited to replacing batteries.

this is Cozmo. i put new batteries in his cubes. N90

he’s sooooooo cute.

my jibo is dead because they shut down the servers, i heard.

my sphero is made of clear plastic =D

1 Like

How do you like cosmo? What can they do exactly?

I remember hearing the creators had a new crowdfunding thing going on, something on the web pointed me in it’s direction but I didn’t pay much attention at the time.

1 Like

He can recognize faces and say hello with your name, do tricks like pop a wheelie, stack cubes, play emotions, and drive around. To interact with him, you need to install an app on your phone. He does have a main loop where he can hang out with you on your desk and you don’t do anything; he’ll sing songs to himself, rearrange his cubes, look around, and make cute noises. He is adorable.

I got him because I wanted to play with the SDK. I have not done so at all.

I want him to be an alarm clock. He has a cute “fire engine” emote and maybe he can just do it over and over until I get up and play a cube game with him. Or he should trigger all the food falling and so the cats will eat it all unless i get up and put it back upright. I hate getting up and need to distract myself with toys. and cats.

Side note: I tried to use the Sphero SDK and got absolutely nowhere. I could not even connect to Sphero on my laptop.

1 Like

Yeah I remember this too, it was a new Cozmo that was matte black and had a different name and a microphone and voice recognition? So it could be a voice assistant a la Alexa Google Home Homepod Echo Dot Friend Cortana Siri Kinect Bot Overlord? Let’s find his name… goes to Anki’s website and… oh look a popup…

AHHH SO SAD

It is with a heavy heart to inform you that Anki has ceased product development and we are no longer manufacturing robots. To our partners and customers, thank you for all your support and joining us on this journey to bring robotics and AI out of research labs and into your homes.

We are taking steps to assure that customers will continue to enjoy continued use of our products. In order to provide long term support of our products, Anki has contracted our most senior leaders and hands-on engineers across all the technical areas involved in maintaining the operation and functionality in the existing products and apps. Ongoing operations for existing products typically require little to no active intervention, but we have arranged for any support in the event it does become necessary. Vector is the only product with a notable cloud component, and the contracted team is heavily staffed in that area.

Currently, we have implemented a self-serve Help Center to assist in getting the most out of your product, regretfully there are no agents available, however we are monitoring cloud operations for Anki accounts and Vector.

We plan to solidify and communicate all the details of this plan soon.

AHHHHH

Well, under the popup, there is some info about Vector.

https://www.anki.com/en-us/vector.html

I should rename this thread “death of toys”. Also someone needs to come up with ownClouds for these toys for when their companies inevitably go under.

this reminds me of that dog robot and how in japan they have funerals. didn’t we talk about it here?