Wikae spam

Unfortunately, wikae get targeted for spam very easily. And despite this becoming more and more of a problem, the tools used to combat it kinda suck.

In order to minimize the inconvenience for legit folks, I made some changes to help me monitor the issue. They are: SpamBlacklist, Nuke and .

• Extension:SimpleAntiSpam - Catches dumb bots right off the bat.
  • Extension:SpamBlacklist - Uses the Wikimedia blacklist, which is okay for now. I will customize it as I see patterns emerge.
  • Extension:Nuke - Mass page deleting. Pro-tip: Searching for pages without putting in anything will give you a list of recent content with checkboxes, which is a fast way to get a lot of spam deleted at once.
  • $wgEmailConfirmToEdit - This is the worst one, which requires an email address to edit. I am just turning this on so I can have a small respite until I have more time to look into this.

It is tough having a publicly editable wiki. While Wikipedia is awesome precisely because anyone can edit it, most other wikae have neither the resources nor the critical mass required to effectively combat spam. I have to think about whether requiring an account is going to be okay for my specific needs, or if I really do think my projects can benefit from more accessibility.

One cool thing about the wikae farm is that I only have to block an account once! Makes it a bit easier to manage. :slight_smile:

In addition to the ones you mention, AbuseFilter is useful for ending spam matching specific patterns (not just in the text), which in my very limited experience can be most spam on a small wiki mostly targeted by bots (unclear whether human or machine), eg I recently added just two rules to http://wiki.autonomo.us/Special:AbuseFilter and I don’t think there’s been new spam since. But it only draws out the battle. :frowning: