WordPress 4.6 Beta 1 and feature freeze

Hey! WordPress 4.6 is cranking along, and a feature freeze and beta has dropped.

There are two big sub-projects in this release: Font Natively and Shiny Updates.

Font Natively reverses what I’ve always considered the mistake of linking to Google Fonts in the WordPress admin pages. One of my essential plugins has always been either Remove Google Fonts References or Disable Google Fonts, to remove those links. I am very happy this embarrassing mistake is being fixed.

Shiny Updates make the experience of updating themes, plugins and WordPress core a more enjoyable and straightforward process, in line with expectations for modern software. This is polish, follows WordPress’ principles of “designing for the majority, and striving for simplicity”. It will also make it a slightly better experience for those of us that run updates habitually (though I’ve largely moved to using Advanced Automatic Updates or WP-CLI myself).

This will be a fun update! Do you have any wish(list)s for future WordPress releases? I am always curious what folks are looking for. :slight_smile: