A Generic Guide to *Nix Systems

I’m in, though I’m pretty dedicated to producing only public domain works. It makes a lot of sense to me, and is like the most important thing to me, so I wanted to put that up front and try to get others excited about producing a CC0 work. :slight_smile:

My half-baked idea was very Wikipedia heavy in example, but only because I’ve only ever seen that content pattern there. But it is about the content pattern, not a wiki. My preference for writing content is vim + markdown, so text version control is my jam.

Another content pattern I love is Wirecutter articles. I think they basically follow the same pattern, where they lead in with everything you need to know, then they deep dive in sections that make sense for the topic.

I’m not suggesting one way or another, tech-wise, at this point. I’ve just got ideas on how I’ve planned such a guide. I am obvious wallowing over here in semantic databases and inference, but I think a guide like this is more about being human accessible, meaning explaining concepts for a person not used to searching databases and correlating data. They just need to, ya know, figure out how to get this second drive recognized… :slight_smile:

When I look at the shape of the collaboration, I wish we had the resources to book sprint. Maybe one day! Leading up to FOSDEM!

Are you thinking of package manager of distributed (and or offline) version control? :slight_smile:

Your list is a great start. I only ever need a bare frame to get started, and then fill out more topics as needed.