A piece of my tooth fell off

I knew I needed to see a dentist, but I didn’t suspect biting into a banana would crack my tooth.

That happened yesterday morning, and I wasn’t able to make a dentist appointment, so I figured I would go on Monday. It actually felt okay, like the portion that broke off had been pressing against something it wasn’t meant to.

But then by the afternoon my mouth was filling up with saliva, and I was lisping. Meh.

Then in route home, my tongue started hurting really, really bad. I tried to eat something when I got home and it wasn’t happening. You know the pain of a sore throat, the one that makes you wince when you swallow? I have that, but it originates from my tongue, instead.

Turns out a bit more had fallen off, leaving a sharp piece of tooth jutting into my tongue, in a place that I apparently don’t have a lot of nerves. But it is all messed up, and I can’t use my tongue as normal without pain. The local pharmacy stores didn’t have anything for it, but we were able to get to Target late last night to get some orthodontics wax to cover my tooth. It sorta helps.

I just can’t eat with it in, and I am regrettably hyper-aware of how much one’s tongue is involved in the eating process. T_T

My level of self-body-sabotage is annoying, almost as much as dentist offices not being open on weekends. I… I don’t have the skill set to navigate this easily.

This sounds horrible, I’m sorry you are going through this.

I hope you can find a clinic or something that is open on the weekend. :confused:

I used some wax to handle it, and now I am sorting this out. I think I will just make the effort now to get all my dental stuff done. T_T

Ugh, don’t remind me, auto-bumping mechanism!

I’m totally gonna need to see a dentist again, but gah, everything is so damn hard in the pandemic!

Not sure I logged it anywhere, but I ended up getting a couple of root canals. I recovered fine, but the operations are very tough on me: anesthesia just doesn’t work as well. I’m going to talk to all future care providers about this fact, because I’m done dreading treatment because it’s going to hurt. I’m going to get the treatment, and dammit, no one is going to hurt me unnecessarily!

1 Like