Ads for friends

So the neat thing about Project Wonderful is this bidding thing, where advertisers bid for time on a site(s). It is a tiny market at work, where people decide what your site is worth.

I have my ups and downs with traffic, which is a primary metric advertisers are looking for. Right now it is in a lull, which means that without a minimum bid, it is currently free to advertise here (I still get to approve all the ads, though).

Well, a couple of my friends are also thinking about this, and I started thinking, we should advertise for each other! And not just us, but everyone we like. And projects! Basically, it would be fun to replace the function of a blogroll with a bunch of cute banners. Have I mentioned that I have wanted to do graphic design lately? :slight_smile:

Project Wonderful gives you the choice to run one of your ads in place of the “Your Ad Here” default, but I wanted to create a whole bunch of banners for all my friends, projects I like, even orgs I support (future post on how that feels).

To get through them, I think I am going create a new ad each week, and run it as my default ad. Then, when I create a new one to replace it, I will go searching for new sites that haven’t had any bids, and are also somewhat related to my most recent ad, and run $0 bids there. That gets my ads in circulation, and it hopefully jumpstarts the bidding on those new sites.

And because I am who I am, all the graphics I create will be under a CC-BY-SA license, and I will be talking about them as I create them. Time to see if I can game an ad network by being excited about stuff. :slight_smile: