Clover and...!

Huh, I just got an auto-bump for a Cloverism in my personal Discourse, and I was wondering why it wasn’t here. Turns out: it predates it! This topic was started in Nov '18, and this is from Sep '18.

Knowing it’s from two years ago is important, it means age 6 going on 7. I was talking about a thing I had done, and the story I was telling @susan had to do with how everyone I was with was a white d00d, and we were at a sake brewery sampling sake served by Asian women, and how we actually meta-commented on it at the time. However, Clover was listening, so I didn’t get very far into the story before e brought up some cognizant points.

maiki: So it was me and a bunch of other white d00ds…

Clover: Why did you call them white, they are the same color as you. Actually, you don’t have to say “white”, you can just say d00ds or people, because the police kill black d00ds and it isn’t fair so we shouldn’t talk about people like that.

I swear e just turned back to what e was doing and didn’t wait for a response or anything. (And incidentally really derailed my story…)

:smile:

1 Like

In 2014 (so age ~3) @susan was reading an underwater creatures book with Clover, and I overheard:

Susan: Where does the jellyfish live?
Clover: At home.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Last night Clover told me a story from eir paracosm, which is very cool, but the choice bit was a custom made and worn by Joxter and Snufkin, in which they walked around as a giant smoking pipe (with their four legs showing!), and smoked their pipes inside to generate the smoke to come out of the big pipe!

:exploding_head:

Unfortunately they can’t see while wearing it, so they accidentally walked off a cliff, but it’s all good, that’s how they discovered their hideout in the cliff cave, and the costume dried out almost instantly and floats because it is made of real wood(!).

Also, Clover may or may not be known as “Valtron of the Seven Seas”. I get it.

Tonight Clover had some dishes to wash, and chose some accompanying music: a Nujabes playlist.

I take that as a sign: the kids are gonna be alright.

Last night we were playing Fluxx, and I asked, “Would you like to play another game of Fluxx?”, but I had a lot of saliva in my mouth, so it came out as kinda, “Pfluxx”.

To which Clover responded, “What’s that? Pluxx? Oh, I don’t know that game. I do know how to play Fluxx if you want to play that.”

:rofl:

What a little smart ass! I laughed so hard. Probably not the best reinforcement. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Clover refers to a certain Animal Crossing character as “K. K. Rowling”. :slight_smile:

Clover reads to us at night! And I lay in Susan’s bed, with a comforter pulled up to my neck; I’m just a blob of blankets. The other night Clover finished reading and was “tucking me in”, but accidentally kneed me in the torso a bit, from leaning over.

I mentioned e was kneeing “my guts”, to which Clover responded with sincere regret, “Oh, I’m soooo sorry! I don’t know where the guts are located on your person!”

Yeah, I can see that…

We currently share an island in Animal Crossing, and I was placing items around new plots, realizing a lot of stuff I’ve made had disappeared, so I talked to Clover about it. But of course, being maiki-parent I made it a whole thing, about the commons, and collaborating with people in the real world.

I mentioned the nearest “library box” (public sharing caches folks put in front of their home) in our neighborhood, stated that we wouldn’t take the library box itself, as it is used by others.

To which Clover immediately replied, “The library box is nailed down.”

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So… Clover has definitely considered taking the library box! :rofl:

Having realized the power of 1TB microSD cards, I began a discussion with Susan about how we ought to share our media in the future, considering the ability to redundantly store and sync photos.

Well, Clover had some ideas, particularly regarding file structure. (!!!) E swallowed eir food down quickly and interjected e had been thinking about how to file photos of easy retrieval by subject! I was so enthralled, I turned my full attention to Clover’s filing system.

Clover began, “One can keep their photos in folders by what it’s about, for instance: self-portraits, butts, feet, museums…”

At that point I was too :rofl: to keep up. I love the honesty (e was completely authentic, not joking), and the planning! And how is that for a snapshot of interests?!

1 Like

I had just finished breakfast, sitting at the table with Clover a few days ago. Outside the sky was grey, making Clover’s blue eyes more piercing. “Gymnopedie No. 1” was playing, and Clover shared a thought…

“I can’t believe it’s almost a new year. I don’t really want it to be a new year, it reminds me the pandemic is still going on, it took all year, and it is still going on…”

And we sat and stared at each other with tears in our eyes for a bit.

1 Like

@susan recieved a tape deck from an Animal Crossing friend, to which Clover demanded:

What’s a tape deck?!

Hahaha. I know I’m supposed to feel old or something, but that isn’t on me. Tape decks had their time, but obviously couldn’t hang. I’ll be freaked out in 20 years when a kid sees a desktop computer and thinks it’s a “supercomputer” because it takes up so much space…

3 Likes

That was a great describation!

Clover has a habit of exclaiming, “Hugh Laurie!”

But wait! Say it to yourself… it works!

It’s kinda like breathing out, “hoo laa ri”.

It takes some getting used to, and now I’d never invite Hugh Laurie back to my place for tea, lest someone exclaim “Hugh Laurie” when not referring to Hugh. So embarrassing!

I wasn’t exaggerating, it’s been at least two weeks of this.

And yet, just now, I was asked, “What’s that saying I’ve been saying? It… it has something to do with Jeeves and Wooster…”

Nine-year olds, amirite?!

1 Like

I feigned ignorance, so tea with Hugh is back on!

Clover just came in from the balcony and proclaimed, “I can see past information, beyond a distant memory…”

And went on to explain a scene with Julia and Katie (siblings of Betsy and Tacy) were having in paracosm.

This kid used to crack me up with absurd observations, now I listen amazed at such vivid descriptions and prose. :slight_smile:

BTW, that “past information” was a feeling that something had happened before. Whoo, pretend world is intense!

1 Like

What does “physics” refer to?

I explained it was, “the study of matter and motion and energy, to understand how the universe operates.”

To which Clover exclaimed, “Yes! I thought so, that’s what they are discussing in pretend world.”

1 Like

Clover: Wow, I just realized to people that don’t speak English it must sound weird.
Susan: What’s that?
Clover: English.

Which is a very cool thing to think about. :slight_smile:

A couple nights ago @susan started a new bedtime book, and it featured a scene on a train where a child is enjoying a sandwich. Clover was quoting the line, and came to the part with the sandwich…

Clover: …the… basket… ball sandwich! Soccer sandwich? It was some kind of sandwich!
Susan: A club sandwich.
C: Oh yeah, club sandwich! I knew it had something to do with sports!

1 Like