Game studios, amirite?

Ya know, I’m very anti-capitalist, and taken as a whole I’m sure the production of a game about superhuman-alien hyrbids matrix-murdering important people for free will isn’t going to move the needle for cultural value, but it is impressive to make so many games is such a short amount of time. There are project managers just crushing it at Ubisoft. I appreciate that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not to take away from this. But it is important to note that this is why its become very common for publishers and even studios under a publisher to have multiple teams. That way the teams can be working on alternating releases, and still get more than a year to do a game; and their employees can sleep sometimes still.

At the scale these people work with. 2 or 3 years producing this content is still a feat of project management.

For example: Nintendo/GameFreak is going to drop Pokemon Sword and Shield later this year. Somewhere in GameFreak they have another team in parallel allready firing up their IDEs and digital art packages for their big 2020 Pokemon release.

Whenever I feel like speculating on what games might be coming out soon, I try to do a mental inventory of how many teams we know about in a given studio and how many projects from the studio we know about. A descrepncy there usually hints at a new title in the works.

2 Likes

The Discover post got me to go back and finish Brotherhood and I’m now on Revelations, which btw had 6(!!!) different teams in 6 different places across the globe working on it! Some of those teams also worked on Brotherhood. It’s actually kind of a staggering feat of coordination now that I’m really thinking about it.

1 Like

Why do you know that? Asking if it is obvious in game; “hey, that fountain is totally Ubisoft SF!”

Do adjacent games relate more in subsystems and tech? Like, uh, MTG? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know only because I sat through most of the credits for Brotherhood for some reason and noted Ubisoft teams in Annecy (France I think), Montreal, and Singapore, and I think there were a few others. Then I wiki’d Revelations and learned 6 different teams worked on it including the three aforementioned ones…

I do really want to know what each team was responsible for and how the coordination worked!

I don’t know about adjacent games relating, except to note that AC2 was a significant step up/forward from AC1 (it was actually playable and only occasionally frustrating) and that Brotherhood and Revelations seem almost completely of a piece with AC2 (Revelations adds in a weird tower defense minigame that clumsily uses the same interface as the rest of the game)