HTML, CSS and our vanishing industry entry points

So if I follow the conversation correctly and barring more literal things like WebAssembly; HTML and CSS have moved culturally from being the primary programming language targets, to some sort of low level display runtime for browsers; and their relationship to these frameworks is kinda like assembly’s relationship to a higher level language like C/C++? though largely by convention and not for much technical reason in use cases like static hypertext documents, it’s just not worth the time to pay attention to the lower level display runtime anymore when you might be called upon to do more interactive or app things?

HUNH

That data gets more depressing everyday and for no worthwhile reason. I found out a few weeks ago that I might be one of the last Firefox users amongst all staff and faculty on my university campus. We used to have a large population, partially my doing. I use to make sure we shipped it as the default browser on all workstations. C’est la vie.

I sometimes pause and wonder what webkit or blink derivative ill be stuck using if this trend continues and Firefox stops being maintained.

1 Like