LineageOS on Galaxy Tab S6 Lite

I ordered a Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, as my Google Pixel XL is nearly non-functional.

Interesting fact: I ordered the Tab exactly two years after the Pixel XL (Dec 28). So, that shows how long those are made to last…

I turned it on, saw the “folders” for Samsung, Google and Microsoft apps (meaning each had at least multiple apps, but in total I think it is something like 30 apps already installed. Including Spotify, Netflix, and YT Music.

Here’s the only thing I’m going to say about this at this moment: if you are the kind of person that wants those things installed on a new device, you deserve what you get, but you should aim higher; you are a human mind in an entropic universe, why let them treat you this way?

Anyhow, looking at Install LineageOS on gta4xlwifi | LineageOS Wiki looks like I need:

For Fedora 33: dnf install android-tools

That handles adb.

[maiki@violet ~]$ adb version
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.40
Version c7815d675
Installed as /usr/bin/adb

Heimdall is available at https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=304516, which is compromised by Google and Adobe, so the one for Linux is also available here. :slight_smile:

Heimdall-linux-master-012220.zip (155.7 KB)

d1823cd1868de15f5075405de824d6ac Heimdall-linux-master-012220.zip

From LOS docs:

Linux: Extract the Heimdall suite zip and take note of the new directory containing heimdall. Now copy heimdall into a directory in $PATH, a common one on most distros will be /usr/local/bin. For example cp heimdall /usr/local/bin. You can verify Heimdall is functioning by opening a Terminal and running heimdall version.

[maiki@violet ~]$ heimdall version
v1.4.2

Power off the device, and boot it into download mode:

• With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Volume Up and connect USB cable to PC.
  • Now, click the button that the onscren instructions coorelate to “Continue” and/or “Unlock Bootloader”.

I couldn’t get this to work, but then read at https://www.getdroidtips.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-on-samsung-galaxy-tab-s6-lite/

• Power off your device. Press Volume Up + Volume Down and plug in your device to a PC to boot into download mode

Which worked.

5d513d1679d5460d7315bab22cd99bb6b96d299fefed6be51ebbe7cae42b0e5d  lineage-17.1-20210106-nightly-gta4xlwifi-signed.zip

Matches. And I used heimdall to reboot the device, so now I boot into “download mode” and install the image…

Download mode looks awesome:

Dur, I needed a recovery file, which is also downloaded, and also checks out: 4359e9fa80ee4587c7d0a3a640a05558b6569e945a0ba498e36ffaa9fd0c97a9 lineage-17.1-20210106-recovery-gta4xlwifi.img

Hmmm, turns out adb from the Fedora repo may not have been up-to-date to work on this device.

I followed the instructions from Using ADB and fastboot | LineageOS Wiki and downloaded the tools directly from Google, and moved the adb binary to my local bin and it is sideloading now. :slight_smile:

platform-tools_r30.0.5-linux.zip (12.7 MB)

serving: 'lineage-17.1-20210106-nightly-gta4xlwifi-signed.zip' (~47%) adb: failed to read command: Success

:rofl:

And it’s done! I was able to get logged in, the “S Pen” is working, and I’m downloading F-Droid. :slight_smile: