Open hardware projects that stall out (or are stalling out).

Got reminded of both the PPC Notebook project and the Neo900 projects today and it got me thinking, that their are quite a lot of open hardware projects that despite seeming good planning and a lot of momentum stall out.

Kind of wondering if it’s worthwhile to catalog the ones we are aware of and look for commonalities.

1 Like

Does considering such a directory inform your thoughts at What is a hardware page?? I think such a directory certain serves our purposes. :slight_smile:

In a kind of round about way it might be a good way of determining factors of likely success, so we can think look for those factors specifically in our hardware page right? Is that what your getting at there?

2 Likes

I think so. It might be a notable field to say how a device came about: megacorp, skunkworks (like the Sputnik/Dell program that produces the XPS13 DE I use), crowdfunded, refurbished, etc.

Also, it occurs to me: do folks running hardware crowdfunding research all over hardware crowdfunding efforts? Is that information available somewhere? I mean, if we looks are so-called free and open hardware projects are being more akin than in competition, that is also an interesting list/database to keep available to everyone.

Eh, that is probably overselling that, btw. It was a nearby example that kinda caught my meaning. There was internal agitators that got the program working, one in particular, but it wasn’t exactly skunkworks. :slight_smile: