Playdate. A New Handheld Gaming System

OMG this looks SO COOL. i’m paying attention because it’s by the studio who made all those mac things and then firewatch and now… haddware???

This caught my attention iva a Liliputing article.

One of the first [games] is called “Crankin’s Time Travel Adventure” and it was made by Keita Takahashi, the creator of Katamari Damacy.

I am quite a fan of Keita Takahashi.

I think given it’s design and pedigree im half wondering if it’s game console-as art piece? I don’t mean that as a criticism per se. I think in some ways thats actually a niche their likely to be successful at it. Trying to be a mainstream console is a very contested space filled with the metaphorical bodies of many past attempts.

It is definitely something im curious to see how it goes. I suspect ill pass on it; but I wanna hear ALL about it.

2 Likes

Art piece console makes most sense. I’d rather have something with 12 new games than get a “$console classic” and play a dozen games I’ve bought five times over the years…

But I have games. So. Many. Games. So I’ll pass as well, of course. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got linked to this this morning. Kind of the dark side of this sort of thing.

The article is lengthy and kind of explains the backhistory and emotional texture of an indie queer gamedev event known as playdate, but then rolls into the name collision trouble along with discussion of how the mainstream co-ops ground initially forged by such spaces.

“Last year I was one of the organizers for Playdate. That year we received an email from Panic basically telling us we can’t use the name anymore because it would be a shame if our event got confused with what they are doing. It came off as incredibly self-important. It left me thinking “Wow, what a dick move.”

This year Playdate (us, proper) got an email from their lawyer edit: it wasn’t a lawyer, it was the person that originally contacted us, saying that we can’t use our name anymore because Panic now owns the word “Playdate”. A simple Google search shows that there are quite a few events that use the word “Playdate” so I have to wonder if they got that too, or if that treatment was just extended to us.

1 Like

Playdate, now Playdate Pop Up, is a game showcase meets miniature event that runs as part of the LA zine fest. It’s been around for a few years now. It’s one of my favorite because of how low-key it is, and how it consistently showcases personal, niche, strange, weird, and wonderful games from a wide spectrum of devs. The games featured are feminist, queer, weird, and wonderfully experimental. It’s a beautiful fit for the zine crowd who are equally as feminist, queer, and weird.

Hahaha! @judytuna! Those folks are way more who you are into, anyhow! Queer zines and wonderful weird people! Yay stupid console (and @trashHeap) for getting us to the good folks!

dang that sucks =(

but Playdate Pop Up looks awesome!