S'more Recipes

I think it was Yotsubato! where Clover was first exposed to the amazingness that is s’mores. Somehow we became obsessed with them, possible because Susan and I are compensating for the fact that we have absolutely no plans to ever take Clover camping. We aren’t against it! But we don’t support it, either… Listen, this isn’t about the politics of our family planning!

It is about our obsession with s’mores!

How obsessed are we? Let’s just say we almost immediately began cosplay. Oh yeah, we also bought a handheld torch, because I guess fun for the whole family?

Now we’ve gone a couple rounds, and our basic s’more game is tight. But I’d like to kick it up, because in case you are skimming and missed the last paragraph, we have a torch that shoots fire.

We’ve added some nut butters to the mix, and I have a mind to choco-hazelnut spread one soon. And when I searched online, I found tons of weird, gross, amazing and fascinating recipes. But they all suck! They don’t present recipe information easily, or one has to squint to see through the buzzing cloud of ads everywhere.

So I am calling on you, precious friend, to send me the dopest s’more recipes! Email me your recipe, or otherwise get it to me, and I will immortalize it in various sustainable and portable formats. ^_^

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://interi.org/2017/10/smore-recipes/

there’s a food truck park in SF - Spark - that has smores pits for rent. it’s not a bad place for a kids birthday party, but not all all convenient to you :slight_smile:

i don’t have a recipe per se. but my smores life was changed last winter when i watched a co-worker really take the time to slowly toast a marshmallow all the way through. no combustion. no laziness. it takes awhile. but the results are really amazing. i don’t have the patience to do every marshmallow like this, but at least once per session i’ll do one and it’s very rewarding.

1 Like

Oh, yeah! I actually had to test out the torch to figure out how the fire interacted with material, so I practiced on a few marshmallows with various techniques. Also, I found all this stuff about how completely burning one like so many of my childhood s’mores is all carcinogenic and whatever… :roll_eyes:

Hershey’s bars have the thinness and early melting point that make them great for s’mores, so I would heat one side of a marshmallow and place it on the chocolate on the bottom cracker, and then really slow cook it while turning the plate.

Making them at home, we didn’t realize how difficult it is to roast a marshmallow. Like, do we use sticks? Can’t use a fork, because hot metal in mouth or sticking mallow. We had some success with chopsticks that I was kinda okay ruining for science. But after a while I just put them on the plate and go from there. :slight_smile:

We mapped out all the fire pits around Lake Merritt, but then we need something to light, and I couldn’t justify buying charcoal just for s’mores, so I finally caved and got the creme brulee torch. I figure that I’d rather sit on that than burn pucks, and if anyone ever needs to make creme brulee I’ve got them covered!

Hershey’s bars have the thinness and early melting point that make them great for s’mores, so I would heat one side of a marshmallow and place it on the chocolate on the bottom cracker, and then really slow cook it while turning the plate.

Oh! I also learned this year to stack the chocolate on the cracker and put it on the edge of the fire while you roast your marshmallow so it melts in advance.

But after a while I just put them on the plate and go from there.

If you really want to be abstract, you can make a marshmallow get puffy and soft in a microwave, and then add a drop of liquid smoke…

1 Like