*This Easter Egg effectively turns every consumer spec-ed Nintendo Switch into a Ruby Machine.*

Dear Ruby devs and game devs. I have a crazy announcement I want to share. Please boost.

Last week I released A Dark Room to the Nintendo Switch. Within the game, I also shipped a Ruby interpreter and a code editor as an Easter Egg.

This Easter Egg effectively turns every consumer spec-ed Nintendo Switch into a Ruby Machine.

1. Download A Dark Room from the US/EU.
  2. Connect a USB keyboard and press the “~” key.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions.

I think that is really cool. But then the dev said:

https://ruby.social/@amirrajan/101986696725342992

Also. If you want to try this out on your Mac/PC/Linux machine in a “If it works in here it’ll work on the Switch” type of environment. I’ve extracted the pertinent bits and have it available here for you to build your own awesome stuff: http://dragonruby.org

Yes it costs money. No it isn’t open source. Stop asking devs to give away their efforts so you can save 0.001% of your six figure salaries.

Which is just a shitty thing to say. So fuck their game and their industry and their outlook.

I feel like we are in the middle of a wierd cultural storm breweing, that is going to get worse before it gets better. Attitudes about free software are kind of at historical all time turbulent highs with wierd mythologies about what is wrong with it brewing in all these different camps.

1 Like

I feel the same, and am largely departing for clearer skies. I just keep putting stuff out there, in the public, and hopefully we’ll katamari adjacent efforts into something positive, rather than trying to define “free software” in the framework of attributing a dollar value to everything.

On the other hand, I’ve got so many chemicals running through my brain, I’m largely leaving this to ferment until I can think clearly again. :grimacing:

Addendum: I posted this initially because I always think it is fascinating, in a weird fractal way, how machines get loaded in machines get loaded in machines. Only when reading for more information did I come upon that “gem” (har har, Ruby, get it?). So that’s still neat. It feels clever.

Meh.

there are so many levels of my brain hurting right now =(