In the beginning... a filesystem

2006-06-24+05:46:42.0000000000 ./music/BT/Ima/1-04 Embracing The Future (Embracing The Sunshine Mix).mp3

Oh, wow. This is totally me. I’ve carried those mp3s with me, even though I swore off the format decades ago. It’s because “Ima” is that good. I’m a fan of BT, actually. All their stuff is really neat, hits a part of my mind in this particular way.

I was turned on to Ima pre-9/11, by lucifex. It was an amazing come down album, from a high/rave/whatever.

For me it was part of a spiritual experience I had on a snow-boarding trip with Cupcake, where I did a silly thing and mildly concussed myself. I listened to Ima while driving down the mountain in a 300ZX holding one hand in the air so e knew I was still conscious. I definitely met some perspectives of myself for the first time…

As for these files, I happen to have several FLAC versions of the album, so that’s what I’m going to put into place. This is great timing:

1. I’m very familiar with the album, having listened to it on a variety of devices over the years, and
  2. I’m been wanting to test “transparency” between FLAC and Opus files.

I’m gonna create several versions of lossy formats and compare on my current setup, and see where the sweet spot is for practical music storage. I’ll post about this in #mediaclub. :slight_smile: