Obligatory noun-verb joke: Switch

Last night I was brain dead from a strategy meeting, so when I noticed that the Switch presentation was starting I just dropped in. Video game presentations are often hyperbole-filled nonsense; perfect for my state of mind.

My main takeaway is that it looks pretty cool. Not something I need, because I have enough games, and don’t really go in for consoles anymore. But no need.

So I am getting one.

Just wait a sec! I am not making a silly move, I am actually consolidating. I will be trading in a Wii U and two 3DSs. I am actually trading in game systems I don’t play for the latest, slickest game system I won’t play. Boosh!

That is the worst case scenario, of course. I hope I do play it, a bunch! But this is mostly driven from a minimalist standpoint, albeit one where I give up very little.

Here are the circumstances that lead me to conclude this is the best course:

I enjoy novelty, and Nintendo systems are low-hanging fruit. I wish I could buy and play with every piece of tech and kit that comes out, but I don’t have the cash for that, and with hardware I often have moral arguments against. I give a pass to Nintendo because it is a toy, and because while Nintendo does weird things that other corporations do, they make a safe gaming space. I’ve seen it first hand, a fun engaging way for kids (and up) to play without harassment. And that is important to me as a parent.

The games look even more kinetic, and I want to move more. The reason we got a Wii U was for the Wii Fit stuff, but the good exercise is from Just Dance. I will for sure be getting Just Dance 2017 for Switch! But from the titles I saw in the launch presentation, there seems to be so much more movement in the titles. That appeals to me greatly.

I want an adult portable. This may sound funny, but I like the idea of coordinating with other adults to play portable Switch games, rather than hoping for StreetPasses from my 3DS. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 3DS. But even the XL is small in my hand, and I hold it too close to my face, and when I run into other 3DS players they are kids and I don’t want to approach kids, but I do want to game with folks. There will no doubt be Switch parties (okay, that sounds a big too adult ;]) and gatherings, and the software and hardware will hopefully lend itself to a better experience.

I don’t really use the current hardware I have. My 3DS is without battery in a drawer, and I can’t recall the last time I turned on the Wii U. But I play Guild Wars 2 and a random PC game every day, and I have stuff on my phone and tablet. I want to play my 3DS, but it doesn’t compare to the games I have elsewhere. But the Switch might have something I want to carry with me.

And finally, I’ve owned every Nintendo system…? This really surprised me! It hasn’t always been at launch, but somehow, over the last 30 years, I’ve had every system Nintendo released in America (with the sole exception of having never owned a VirtualBoy, for hopefully obvious reasons). For those playing at home, those were:

• NES
  • Game and Watch (boom!)
  • SNES
  • GameBoy
  • GBA
  • GBSP
  • N64
  • GameCube
  • NDS
  • NDSi
  • Wii
  • 3DS
  • 3DSXL
  • Wii U

I find it delightful to have been this close to gaming history during my lifetime, and I’d like to see what Nintendo has to offer next.

So those are my reasons. Interestingly enough, I never feel compelled to pick up a PlayStation or Xbox. I do like Final Fantasy games, but they all end up on PC anyhow. And those systems, with their corresponding online communities, just scream toxic gaming to me. I would never expose Clover to the culture of harassment and misogyny that are hallmarks of inherently competitive gaming, and there isn’t anything else going with those systems that I care about.

And if there was a single reason I am opting for the Switch, it is because I will cover the entire cost with trade-in credit. Despite abhorring GameStop, reducing the objects in my home to carry on a now conscious tradition sounds like fun! :slight_smile: