Augmented vision

Last weekend Susan and I went to The Perish Trust. They have a selection of Warby Parker frames to try, which one can then order from their website. I am planning on getting the Thompson clear frames, after I get my prescription updated on Monday.

For the last couple of months my vision has really gotten wonky. I can still see well, but it is straining enough to be painful when switching distances suddenly (such as from looking out the window to the monitor). Also, I find myself squinting more and more when I am reading websites (so, for 12 hours a day). I am trying to adjust settings to compensate, but I haven’t found a great configuration that works across lots of different websites.

As an aside, I am super jazzed that I have always made websites with intelligent semantic markup. In the past it was hard to articulate to folks why it is so important, since it is possible that a person either doesn’t know, or more likely doesn’t realize they know, a person with various disabilities that semantic markup helps mitigate. Now I can point directly to the sites I build and say, “I customize the way I view these so I am more comfortable, and other people can as well, easily.”

I am also trying to wear hats that cover my eyes, instead of sunglasses, so I can wear my prescription all the time. I only need them to read, really, but I like having them on all the time, since I read constantly. You could probably name a building within a few blocks of my home and I could tell you all the signage.

There is another reason though, that I am no longer using sunglasses. I am going to be home with Clover, and I intend to be as active as she is content with. I want to take them places, but I don’t want to hide my eyes. When Clover looks at me, I want them to know that I am looking back, or they need to get my attention. It isn’t a statement on sunglasses, it is just that I want to always be available to them, and that is one way I feel I can be.