Openness vs ... closedness?

I have a couple game ideas I want to discuss here, and see if others are interested in joining forces and working together, either technically or via worldbuilding / game mechanic decisions.

In general, I love putting things out there for others to use freely, via open-source or whatevs. However, after doing a lot of that, I do have a couple ideas for games that I think are cool, and that I believe could be charged for. This brings me to the immediate desire to “lock it down”, don’t discuss it in an open forum for the world to see, but in a space only viewable to logged in users.

I think I just need to get over it. For the same reasons that getting people to sign an NDA before you share with them “your big app idea”, this also seems overblown. Even if people saw a game/ game mechanics discussed here, if they have the capability to make something they probably have a list as long as mine is on items of their own they want to tinker on.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I had a similar sentiment I brought up over at WIFO (you may be into some of the stuff discussed over there, Tim).

This has been a year of compromise for me, an experiment to see how effective I can be at positive change if I stop being so absolute in my technology use. Part of that was taking on a job job. And at my company we create “IP”, and have to negotiate contracts with artists for royalties and all kinds of other rent-seeking nonsense. I thought it would bother me more, but I am just meh about most of it.

But it has made me realize I am secure with my level of openness (that word has too many n’s), which is mostly total. My biggest issue is deciding if I dedicate things to the commons, or utilize copyleft.

Adam Hyde describes a process that I’ve always felt but hadn’t articulated, in part because I was unsure others experienced it:

Living a life of open source and open access forces you to peel away layer by layer the proprietary way of thinking, doing, and being that we have all grown up with. It can be a very painful process, but it’s also extremely liberating and healthy. Largely, it actually means learning to live without fear and paranoia of people ‘stealing your ideas’. That’s quite a freedom in itself.

I actually started formulating my ideas around my own relationship with openness while researching why people do irrational things, and there are two ideas that have always stood out for me: loss aversion and negativity bias (they are kind of the same thing, but manifest in specific ways in regards to openness).

If you disregard the inherent messed up nature of business deals and litigation that most of us don’t deal directly with, you will find that there are hardly ever any bad actors. I mean, there isn’t some person scouring the internet for good ideas to steal and bring to market first and make fist-loads of money without acknowledgment or compensation. Instead we have patent trolls and such, but again, not the world most of us live in.

It is common sense that a producer of anything would benefit more from the exposure that happens when they share their works freely, but the arguments against that are always framed by the group that currently has all the power and money, and got it by controlling the previous generation’s distribution channels. And so the norm becomes to wield closed systems/laws/philosophies preemptively and proactively, and it generates a difficult environment to “peel” away the FUD.

There are some thoughts on it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@maiki your reply really helped; thanks.

Negativity bias was definitely a part of it. There are some others, but thinking on it, it all goes back to negativity bias.

Also, just in general this topic has been illuminating for other areas of my life. Somehow I’ve let “expecting the worst” to creep in my default thought process, which directly relates to my happiness, or lack of it. More thinking to do on this topic.

1 Like

Glad it helped. Ya know, this site, the idea of different but overlapping talk groups, is an effort to have conversations like this, and to live “open”. The ideate category and other channels for discussing what we are doing, it is something I want for myself and others, so we have a public document of our struggles and triumphs, and a resource to point others to.

That is why we have the brainstuff, too. :slight_smile: