Cepheus Engine RPG

It’s a pen and paper RPG. It appears to be some sort of OGL remix of Mongoose Traveller first edition, created by folks who were upset that the second edition was both not-OGL and that third parties and fans were being locked into some sort of 50% revenue sharing deal with their creations on the community content license for second edition.

Presentation is very much like what Traveller fans seem to refer to as the “The First Three Little Black Books.” which is pretty much before Traveller created any of it’s implied setting. It kind of sits at a neutral hardish scifi that feels kind of asimov-foundation-empire-esque to me. FTL ships capable of short jumps, advanced weapons and computers. Humans as far as the eye can see. No FTL-comms. No replicators. No teleportation.

Includes optional rules for psionics. Some suggestions at aliens. Rules for ship construction, including expenses. Random sector generation. Etc. Again much like the classic traveller first three little black books. Enough random tables somehow in its sub-200 page count to run a space campaign for ages and ages. Tables for FTL travel times, rules for cryosleep, etc.

Mechanically simplified and unified from classic traveler though, including a unified resolution mechanic.

Authoritative hosting appears to be DriveThruRPG which is sub optimal. Not that I don’t like DriveThruRPG but requiring an account to download OGL content always seems wierd to me. Ought to be mirrored elsewhere.

Im planning on poking at it a little seriously in coming weeks.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Let’s discuss the OGL