Jadepunk and the economy of scales

I supported the Jadepunk Kickstarter some time ago, and the most recent status update had an interesting bit about releasing a conversion of the setting for Dungeons and Dragons 5e. There are already a few systems it is built for, but they make an insightful observation:

In hindsight, Fate, C+, and AW share most of the same audiences. What we should have done, and are now rectifying, is branching out to other systems that maybe have different audiences, and there’s no bigger audience than the won for Dungeons and Dragons.

Why do we feel this is necessary? Because making these supplements is expensive (remember when I said mistakes were made, well one of those was over-promising far beyond what the Kickstarter funds could pay for). Making a new version of the core book is not as expensive, however, because we already have all the art, and half the writing, for it. We’re hoping that expanding the audience of the setting will bring in some much needed funding to keep things rolling long enough to get all of our stretch goals fulfilled.

I personally wish every company/project had explicit conversations like this, because I only know about it from reading posts like this; I am not a gaming industry insider, but it is important to me to understand how these folks are supporting themselves, in and return, the systems they create.