Fedora instead of Debian?

This is a question for @maiki but I figured it makes sense to have it for all to see.

So! I am very curious why you are solidly in the Fedora universe now, instead of Debian? What qualities does Fedora have that you like?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I use GNOME, and Fedora is akin to a flagship deployment of GNOME. Pretty simple. :slight_smile:

I’ve rarely used Debian, but assuming it includes Ubuntu and ilk, then the difference has been minimal for me. Here’s my interesting observation: as packaging for OS became more abstract and kicked out to external systems like Snap and Flatpak, my own computing experience has simplified as I focus on what is important in my personal life; turns out most computing stuff is not very important to me.

Let’s see what it looks like, nine months on…

Screenshot%20from%202019-06-03%2009-53-29

Huh, I’ve collected a lot more, but a lot of those larger folders reflect either gaming assets or software projects (I’m a “developer”…).

tree -L 1 reveals:

├── dl
├── docs
├── games
├── media
├── notes
└── projects

media is syncthing to mobile devices. notes is all text.

Almost all my time are spent in a web browser or terminal. The point being: nothing I do matters or is done better in Fedora over Ubuntu/Debian.

Also, I probably still deal with software more in Ubuntu, as it is attached to our TV and I tend to run a lot of media and gaming stuff there. My XPS13 runs GNOME fine, and GNOME hits everything for me.

Firefox (or Mozilla) gives me a bunch more grief, honestly. At this point I’m more interested in which browsers folks use than OS. Well, I still make fun of people for their choices, but you get me. :slight_smile:

The modified column in the screenshot is telling. Things touched today:

• .cache
  • media
  • .mutt
  • .config
  • .task
  • .ssh

minetest and dl a couple days ago. Everything else, months.

• Not Ubuntu.
  • Seemed cool.

Recent Red Hat activity has put both of those attributes in danger, potentially. :thinking:

Thanks for the answers!

Debian is much less configured than Ubuntu. For example, at install time you choose your graphical interface you prefer. (MATE FTW!!)

I am on a similar trajectory. It’s why I like Debian; it’s packages are what power oodles of other distros, so I just being at the source, as it were. I don’t want to futz with things to get them working, and Debian supports most everything.

2 Likes

We should make a distro. Like, some config thing or whatever. Minimal install to load talkgroup.xyz… :slight_smile:

Oh! Or minimal install to load terminal wrapper for Discourse API!

1 Like

Poking around the new GNOME apps, I realize it is actually a pretty fancy OS.

It also suffers from them basically not explaining what any of the apps do. Like, I found a neat new app I hadn’t seen before, and went to the website:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Documents

Da fuck?

Your local and online documents are collected in one place.

Keep track of your documents either by organizing them in collections.

Cool. Cool cool cool. :roll_eyes: