Ubuntu 12.10, Quantal Quetzal

The newest version of Ubuntu has dropped. I intend to upgrade and switch over to Unity. This has been in the works, since every version of Gnome 3 breaks all my extensions when I upgrade. Last time it happened I determined I would switch over on the next version of Ubuntu.

By the way, a quetzal is a colorful bird common in South America, and is worth 25 points in Scrabble.

I never recall why I dislike Unity, I just know that each time I get really irritated and switch back to Gnome. And if that weren’t enough, I am going to test out Ubuntu One, as well. If you don’t hear from me for a week, it is because I broke this computer and am replacing it. :slight_smile:

I switched to Ubuntu last year, so Unity is the only desktop I’ve ever used. And it’s fine. Everyone is a crybaby. Remember that “intuitive” is synonymous with “familiar”. There’s nothing objectively wrong with Unity, but it’s different which means it’s not the same, and AFAICT, that’s the problem everyone has with it.

As far as Ubuntu One is concerned, you have to jump through some hoops to get the data encrypted with your key on the storage side. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8517221 is helpful.

Well, yeah, people aren’t going to like things that are different from what they want. The thing about Ubuntu is that it has this huge software ecosystem built around it now (compared to say, Fedora) and that is a kind of lock-in. That is fine, that is the deal with all operating systems. However, Ubuntu is supposed to be community-based, and Canonical doesn’t do that well (it may in fact be that no org can shepard a community well). Unity was forced on people, and as a Gnome user, I am a second-rate citizen on Ubuntu.

Also, every menu is at the top of the screen, while it should be on the window when I want it. That really bugs me.

Also also, the new online accounts thing that Ubuntu is doing is really sucking for me, personally.

So it isn’t objectively bad, but it is personally. :slight_smile:

Fortunately, Unity for some reason was crawling so slow it was unusable, so I switched back to Gnome (and updated to 3.6). Honestly, at this point I am ready to look for a minimalist distro that can run Firefox, Chromium and a terminal. Everything else is on my Android tablet.